Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Truth About SCHIP

First of all, for the uninformed and non-Americans: SCHIP = State Children's Heath Insurance Program
It was designed to provide govt funded insurance for children whose families didn't qualify for Medicaid but didn't make enough to be able to afford private insurance. Now the Democrats want to boost it up to over the $80,000 level (family of 4). IF this is true, for once I have to support the President. I'm not against kids. But that amount is NOT even close to poor. If someone is making that much, I can assure you they're offered private insurance. Now if there's serious circumstances that overwhelm private insurance, yes government insurance should help some. But come on. If you're making that much, spend some of it on insurance. There are those of us who are struggling just to get by but the government won't give us insurance because we don't have kids. So if we can manage, so can you. Am I cold? Perhaps. Will I anger people? I'm sure I will. But I grew up dirt poor. I'm not living the high life still... but I'm managing. No insurance here. Have been near death once or twice. Managed - no insurance. I've been on both sides. 80k is a LOT of money for most of us. Maybe you should find other areas to trim back first? I don't want MY taxes to go up because YOU are too lazy to get insurance yourself. What say you?

2 comments:

jumpinginpuddles said...

welcome back

Jeannine said...

That is a ridiculous amount. My husband makes less than $80,000 a year, we have six children, and we have health insurance. Crazy.

There are too many people with an entitlement mentality out there.