Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Effects of a Song

(yes I know I said I'd be back in a bit, but the pda has to work too you know.)

While at work today, this song came on the "radio" - if you can call it that.




I remember growing up with this song on the radio. It was reinforced throughout everything I remember by everyone I remember - if I wanted to be a "big person" I had to "bury it" - not show any emotion at all, and if you succeeded, THEN you were grown up. I understand now they just didn't want us (maybe it was just me) to be crybabies, but the sheer lack of emotion that was permitted didn't give that appearance. I never saw my Mom grieve, except the day of her Mom's funeral. I never saw anything but plainness, even though I KNEW there was other things at play. I always wanted to be just like my Mom, so I learned how to "bury" emotions quite well. NO ONE ever knew I was fighting major depression (something that is very taboo in my family anyways), nor that once or twice along the way I was on the brink of going suicidal. No, most of them STILL don't know that. Very few people know and/or understand how dark my childhood was. Somehow I survived intact (for the most part, emotionally I was shredded by the time I hit my early 20s and had to be "rebuilt" from the ground up). But the song, good as it is, and as classic as it is, makes a very good point. ANY song, game, movie, etc. can leave a deep impression on a young mind if not explained and/or countered by a close adult that can show them the right way.

Just a thought...

Back to the pda.

No comments: