Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Uh-oh!

Hello my friends. Usually when I'm reporting medical issues with the cats, it's Nimbus with the problems. Not this time, I'm afraid. SOMETHING has Jadzia itchy - terribly itchy to the point she's now itched a patch of fur off of her neck as big as the one that was bitten off of her when she got pregnant, if not bigger. I went into panic mode for a minute - she was a little bloody and it was a big wound. Then I remembered how I fixed it the last time - or at least tried to. I got her cleaned up but then discovered she's so much bigger now the washcloth around the neck to try to keep her from scratching it any more isn't going to work. So I had to think of something durable enough to take her claws but expendable to me. Solution: a pair of jeans that has a hole in the knee. I just cut the bottom off of one leg and a couple rounds of electrical tape makes for one makeshift temporary bandage. She has an appointment Monday, so it's not a long-term fix. But it's flexible enough that I can rebandage her too and she SHOULDN'T be able to destroy it that quickly - unlike all those washcloths! I just hope we can find out why she's itching so bad. She doesn't need to be going through this. She's already an itchy cat, this is torture for her and for me. Nevermind the bandage looks like torture too! I won't do her the indignity of posting a picture of her with her temporary bandage on. However, if I remember to, I might dig up that old pic of her right after she probably got preggo. Gotta say tho, she's been such a trooper today. She must know I'm only trying to help. Maybe she remembers the last time we went through this. It took a long time, but she did heal up. But this time, I'm not waiting and dealing with all the blood and bandages. Just until the appt. Let's see if the docs have a better bandage (and I bet they do). While we're there, we're going to deal with a couple other issues so we knock them all out hopefully. I just hope they take my advice to beware her fangs if they take her temp. My finger still hasn't forgotten and it's been over 7 years since she sank that fang in!
Curzon is doing great. His fur is progressing nicely and he's still letting me semi-groom him (brushing is getting a bit more complicated). We're still waiting on the darker fur colors to come back in though. It just takes time.
Nimbus has taken a slight step back. I had to re-up his insulin a half-unit as he just didn't seem to be going anywhere, and I fear we may have to do it again. I'm just not sure what's going on, but we'll see. Right now he's the only cat missing as the twins are both taking baths up on the bed while I write this. Each one stops for a few seconds now and then to stare at the other, as if making sure they're not about to get disturbed by the other, not like they'd have to get up to disturb each other. They're close enough to reach out and hit each other, but they aren't in play mood.
Anyways, I'm going to head back off, as I'm not feeling so talkative. I hope everyone is getting through their week alright.

4 comments:

dArtagnan Rumblepurr/Diego Hamlet Moonfur said...

Are you guys Maine Coons?? I'M a Maine Coon!!! We gotta run and bounce and pounce together!!! (virtually, of course)

*RUMBLEPURR*

Lynx217 said...

Yes I think the twins are, though we'll never know because they were rescued off the streets as kittens, but they sure match the profile PERFECTLY! Nimbus, however, is definitely not all Coon - he's half trailer park tomcat lol.

Cat with a Garden said...

Sorry to hear your lady is itchy. Sometimes it't had to determine what's causing it. Good luck until the appointement on Monday!

Lynx217 said...

thank you it's greatly appreciated.