Saturday, July 25, 2009

Quick Blog

Howdy my friends.

I know I've been quiet lately, I've not had much to say.

It's been one hell of a week this week, and today was the worst of it. Everyone left their brains at home, and it was driving me insane. Stupidity does that – let me rephrase that – IGNORANT STUPIDITY does that to me. It's the stupidity that can't be explained away.

Nimbus is doing GREAT – finally. Whew maybe, just MAYBE he has turned the corner and he will continue to improve? Tuesday morning I started him on the down trend on his insulin, and while a half-unit may not seem to be a lot, it is. I don't dare go down any faster, afraid of creating another tailspin I won't be able to get him out of. Yesterday afternoon we went down another half unit, this after me accidentally giving him old, incorrect insulin yesterday morning in my near-asleep haze. That'll teach me – I threw out the old crap since it's not the stuff we use anymore. I should throw out the needles too, since I can't use them for the new insulin, but hey, fish and chicken juice injector lol! The vet and I agreed it's time that we put him – and the other fluffballs – on a diet, so soon Nimbus will start the slow transition from the low-calorie diabetic prescription to the even lower-calorie diet prescription food. This will be another trial too, as I will have to even more closely monitor his glucose levels. He has been a constant source of irritation, frustration, and amazement all in one bundle of furry love. He was so zonked out this afternoon I was able to poke his ear twice (I didn't get enough blood the first time, stupid me) and give him his shot while he was crashed out on the desk chair. He obviously doesn't mind the poking and prodding. I think he just wishes his ears could be left alone. But it's the only safe place for me to test him. Testing him on his paws would only start infection after infection. And he's got way too much fur to be trying to test anywhere else.

I'm going to be testing the twins a couple weeks after we start the switch from the diabetic to diet food. Even though they're not diabetic, I still need to watch them to make sure they don't get out of whack during the switch. But they're not my main concern, not in this case – they're my strong healthy babies. They adapt quite well. I just worry – a lot.

I'm… I'm out of things to write about! See, I told you!

No comments: